Miniature Book Pendant

Recently, I had the idea that I wanted to make a small book into a pendant for a necklace.  I searched for small blank books that I could write in and found none, so I decided to make my own.

Leather bound mini journals.
I started by following Miss Ruth's wonderful bookbinding tutorial.  Who knew binding a book could be so easy?  The first one I made I wrote in the pages by hand and I did it after I bound the book.  It would have been much easier if I did the writing first.

Wibbly-wobbly handwriting from writing in the already bound book.
After I followed the tutorial, I glued a small piece of leather around it to make it look like a leather bound journal.  I cut a small hole on one end and tied a skinny strip of leather to it that could wrap around and act as a closure.

I added pictures to the book I typed.
For the second book, I wanted to type up the pages because all that writing was tiresome.  I looked all over the web for a template of the inside pages of a miniature book, but I guess this is the one thing not already on the internet.  So, I made my own.  Click here for the template I made just download it as a Word Doc and you can write in whatever you'd like.  The numbers are the pages of the book if you do three leaves for each page signature.   This gives you 82 pages that are 1.22" tall by .94" wide for your mini book.  Print this as a two-sided document.

Strip of three leaves.
Once you decide what you want your book to say and print it up (don't forget it is two-sided), cut it into strips.  Each strip is three leaves that go together.

Cut the leaves apart and lay them with the first on the bottom.
Once they are placed on top of each other, fold in half, and then bind them together.
I cut each set of leaves as I bound the book so I wouldn't get confused about what order they should be in.  

My not-so-great hand drawn TARDIS, it's a bit wibbly-wobbly.
As you can probably tell from my pictures, I made my book Doctor Who themed, my own Journal of Impossible Things.  (I've found myself recently very obsessed with the Doctor.)

I threaded a jump ring through the leather and attached a chain, so now I have my very own Journal of Impossible Things necklace.

Mini Journal necklace.
I was thinking how this could be a nice gift as a blank journal.  Just give them a very fine point pen.



Comments

  1. OMG OMG OMG I LOVE this!! Brilliant! And your template is amazing! I would love to see the whole book, as I know someone (Ian) who is REALLY into Dr. Who! I'm going to do this one for sure. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment